Motorcycle Safety Classes
The Motorcycle Basic Rider Course (BRC) consists of 6 hours of classroom instruction and 10 hours of actual riding. Experienced instructors are trained and certified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and approved by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.
Who can take the Course?
- Any Wisconsin resident 15 ½ years of age or older may enroll in the Basic Rider Course
- A valid form of identification must be available during the first class
- An instructional permit or "temps" as in temporary license is not required to take the class.
- Students under the age of 18 will need to have a waiver form signed by a parent or guardian prior to participating in the range portion of the course. (Waiver forms will be distributed during the first class which is all lecture).
- You must be 16 years old to apply for a Motorcycle Instruction Permit through the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive the MV3575 Motorcycle Skills Test Waiver Form (yellow copy). This form is proof that you have successfully passed the Motorcycle Road Test. This form should then be taken to any DMV to apply for your Class M endorsement on your driver's license.
Required Equipment (Note: LTC provides the motorcycles for class. Students are not permitted to use your own bikes. Helmets
and gloves are available, but we recommend you bring your own if possible.)
- Sturdy boots or high–top (leather) athletic shoes (over the ankle).
- Denim pants (or other heavy material) – shorts are NOT allowed.
- Long–sleeved jacket or shirt (denim or other heavy fabric).
- Rain gear in case of inclement weather.
- Eye protection (glasses or goggles).
- Leather gloves – unlined, but not too thin. (Full finger)
- Helmet – DOT, Snell or ANSI approved. Three quarter or full face helmet; half helmets are not permitted.
If any of the following situations exist a skills test waiver must be obtained at the time of registration:
- You are under the age of 18
- You have failed the test two times
- You have applied for and used three six-month permits and never made an appointment and passed the skills test
To obtain the blue copy of the proof of course enrollment, contact Shana Dennis at 1.888.468.6582, extension 1178 or 920.693.1178.
Any Wisconsin resident 15 1/2 years of age or older may enroll in the BRC, but you must be 16 years old to apply for a Motorcycle Instruction Permit through the Department of Motor Vehicles. Students under the age of 16 must provide written consent from their high school principal prior to attending the BRC during scheduled school hours. Please submit this consent form to Andrea Petersohn at least 1 week prior to taking the course
Classes are held at the LTC Cleveland Campus, I–43 to exit 137, east to the Conference Center entrance. Classes will meet in the Public Safety Training Center. All courses can be very intense and demanding. You may be asked, as a class, to start early or classes may run late.
Register using ONE of the following options (see schedule below for class dates and numbers):
1. Call 693.1366 or 1.888.468.6582, extension 1366 to register by phone. Be prepared with all the information requested in the registration form and a MasterCard/Visa/debit card.
2. Register in person at:
Lakeshore Technical College
1290 North Avenue
Cleveland, WI 53015 Get directions
LTC reserves the right to cancel classes in the event of insufficient enrollments. If a class cancel, you will be notified prior to the starting date. For refund procedures, call 920.693.1888.
Fees may change in March.
|Class Number||Class Title||Day(s)||Dates||Time||Room||Fee|
Classroom work is held in the Public Safety Building.
Fees may change in March.