VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance)
Free Tax Return Preparation at LTC Mondays or Manitowoc on Saturdays
LTC Accounting Program tax students who have been certified by the IRS will be preparing and e-filing 2013 Federal and State returns on the LTC campus and at the Manitowoc Job Center for free for students, staff, and the public who meet the guidelines. The local VITA program has been a partnership between Lakeshore Technical and Lakeland College since 2007. During the 2012 tax season, the combination of LTC and Lakeland students and volunteers performed over 2,000 hours of community service by preparing more than 900 returns and generating over $1.4 million in refunds. LTC opened a site at the Cleveland campus for the 2010 tax season and an additional new site at the Manitowoc Job Center in 2012.
Do I qualify?
- Required to have an income under $51,000
- Required to have earned all 2013 income in Wisconsin
- Required to be a legal U.S. resident
What cannot be prepared?
- Combined income over $51,000
- Complicated Schedule C (Business profit/loss)
- Complicated Schedule D (Capital gains)
- Form 2106 (Employee expenses)
- Form 8606 (Non-deductible IRA)
- Part-year or non-residents
- Schedule E (Rents and losses)
- Form 3903 (Moving expenses)
- Married, filing separate
- Other restrictions may apply
What should I bring?
- Copy of 2012 Federal and State tax returns
- All W2s, 1099s, 1098-T, etc…
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependent
- Wisconsin 2013 property tax bill OR rent certificate (signed by landlord)
- A voided check (for direct deposit)
How long does it take to get my refund?
- Federal refunds will be received in less than 21 days if direct deposit is used
- Wisconsin refunds take approximately 2 weeks if direct deposit is used
- Both take up to one month or more without direct deposit
What if there is a filing problem?
- The returns are filed electronically with the IRS
- The IRS will notify us if any information is incorrect
- A valid phone number is needed for resolving any issues that may arise
Is VITA really free?
- Yes, there is absolutely no cost involved for e-filing of both Federal and State returns
- LTC students cannot accept tips or any type of compensation for this service
When and where are the returns prepared?
LTC Cleveland campus (1290 North Avenue, Cleveland):
Room L106, Lakeshore Building, LTC Cleveland campus Get directions
- Mondays – reservation times are from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.
- February 3, 10, 17, 24
- March 3, 10, 24, 31
- April 7
LTC Manitowoc Job Center (3733 Dewey Street, Manitowoc):
Room M107, use LTC entrance on north side of building Get directions
- Saturdays – reservation times are from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- February 1, 8, 15, 22
- March 1, 8, 29
- April 5
Reservations are required for all dates; starting on January 20, please call 920.693-1398, Monday - Thursday 12:00 noon - 3:00 p.m.
Informational brochures are available at the LTC Student Services desk, Cafeteria Information desk, or at the LTC Manitowoc Job Center