Apply Now - Available for a Limited Time
These are challenging times for our students. The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) act provides support to college students whose lives have been disrupted, many of whom are faced with financial challenges and struggling to make ends meet.
LTC has received a share of funding from the federal government to provide emergency aid to students who are eligible to fill out a FAFSA and who need to cover expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the pandemic. Eligible students can receive up to $2,000 in funding to cover costs they are incurring as a result of campus closing due to COVID/stay-at-home orders.
These funds are meant to support eligible students who incurred new expenses because of the temporary disruption in campus activities for items such as: groceries and supplies (normally distributed by Student Shares), health and dental services (provided free on campus), campus childcare, and additional costs to move to online courses including technology, and tools or course materials normally supplied on campus.
If you are an LTC student who has or is eligible to file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Financial Aid) and whose courses were disrupted by the changes in LTC operations during the pandemic, then you may be eligible for a relief grant.
Please fill out the simple application below - in which you tell LTC how you are impacted and how you will use this CARES funding. The LTC emergency grant team will review all applications for eligibility.
Applications are accepted from April 23 through May 31, or until funds are exhausted. This is NEW and LIMITED funding only for this time – and we will process applications on a first served basis depending on fund availability.
Once your application is approved, your funds will be directly deposited into your bank account through ACH, or by a check mailed to your residence. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, so don’t wait to apply. Go to MyLTC to update your bank information so LTC can make a direct deposit. Otherwise, a check will be mailed to eligible students using the address you put on the application. We anticipate the application review to check/deposit time will be approximately 10 days. Students will be notified about their grant as soon as their application is processed via email.
Full and part-time students at LTC whose coursework was disrupted can apply. The funding is only available to FAFSA eligible students who are enrolled in a college program seeking a degree or certification. It will not cover students in dual credit courses, courses 100% online prior to March 2020, GED, ELL or continuing education. If you have questions about your eligibility or how to apply for this funding, please email COVID.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other emergency grants are available to LTC students through the LTC Foundation throughout the year. If you are interested in other resources for emergency expenses, or are not eligible for the CARES funds, go to https://gotoltc.edu/financial-aid/types-of-financial-aid/emergency-grant for more information and to complete an application.
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) act provides support to college students whose lives have been disrupted. LTC received a share of funding as a result of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students. In accordance with CARES Act requirements, we are reporting the following information regarding our participation.
- On April 10, 2020, Lakeshore Technical College signed and submitted to the U.S. Department of Education the Certification and Agreement required by the department, along with assurance the college intends to use no less than 50 percent of funds received through the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- Lakeshore Technical College has received $488,908 from the U.S. Department of Education for Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- As of May 18, 2020, Lakeshore Technical College has awarded students $460,500 in Emergency Financial Aid Grants through the CARES Act.
- The estimated total number of Lakeshore Technical College students eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants is 2,659.
- As of May 18, 2020, 288 Lakeshore Technical College students received an Emergency Financial Aid Grant through the CARES Act.
- Lakeshore Technical College implemented specific methodology to determine which students receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants through the CARES Act, and how much they receive. The college plans to distribute funds to as many students as possible while focusing on those with the greatest financial need. Using the application responses and any follow up documentation, reviewers verify eligibility based on CARES Act specifications and demonstrated need due to disruption of college operations.
- Demonstrated needs considered include:
- Use of the college’s childcare services
- Use of the college’s health services
- Use of the college’s food and personal care pantry
- Course technology, materials and supplies provided by the college
- Further evaluation is based on:
- A FAFSA already on file for the student
- No FAFSA on file, but the student will file (assistance can be provided to students interested in filing)
- No FAFSA on file and the student is not interested in filing (a separate form is required in order to determine eligibility)
- Eligible applicants are awarded the following based on FASFA eligibility, Expected Family Contribution (EFC), and demonstrated need. Awards will not exceed the cost of attendance ($6,195).
- Student EFC higher than 5576 = $1,000 award per term
- Student EFC is 1-5576 = $1,500 award per term
- Student EFC is 0 = $2,000 award per term
- Demonstrated needs considered include:
- Information and directions relating to Emergency Financial Aid Grants are located on our website at https://gotoltc.edu/cares-help.
Reporting information last updated 5/18/2020.