Credit For Prior Learning (CPL)
Lakeshore Technical College embraces opportunities to provide advanced standing to students with credible learning experiences occurring outside of our classrooms. With LTC's Credit for Prior Learning opportunities you can save time and money toward your degree by earning credit for your prior learning experiences. Whether you've taken dual-credit courses in high school, at another college, or have on-the-job experience that's relevant to your LTC program, you may be eligible for college credit.
Credit for prior learning, or advanced standing, may be granted for the following situations:
- - earned at other colleges (College Course Transfer Guide)
- - earned in high school with dual/articulated credit options
- - earned by completing a registered apprenticeship
Send official transcripts to:
- Lakeshore Technical College
- Attention: Student Records
- 1290 North Avenue
- Cleveland, WI 53015
Work and Life Experiences
Receive credit for the college-level learning you have gained through work, training, volunteer, self-study, military, etc., experiences by completing a prior learning assessment.
At LTC, when possible, we use prior learning assessments to evaluate students for their prior learning. The assessments come in different formats: some are exams, while others are portfolios, demonstrations, or a combination of methods.
For more detailed information on ways to earn credit for prior learning, please review the Credit for Prior Learning Student Manual
- Official transcripts from awarding institutions are required when transferring in college credits.
- Credit for prior learning must be applied toward a specific program at the College. Non-program students are not eligible for advanced standing.
- The student must have earned a grade of 2.0 or better in the course being considered on a 4.0 scale.
- The course being transferred is generally equivalent in content and meets or exceeds the credit value of the LTC course.
- Transfer credit may be awarded for up to 75% of the degree, diploma, or certificate requirements. However, students must complete at least 25% of their technical/occupation-specific coursework at LTC in order to earn the diploma/degree.
- The college reserves the right to place time limits on prior learning for which credit may be granted based on technological changes specific to that field.
- Not all courses have the option to earn credit for prior learning.